INTERPOL Launches Major Global Initiative to Fight Illegal Fishing
INTERPOL’s Environmental Crime Programme, with support from The Pew Charitable Trusts, the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation, announced the launch of a major global effort to stem illegal fishing and its associated crimes. This initiative, called Project SCALE, was launched at the 1st INTERPOL International Fisheries Enforcement Conference held at the INTERPOL General Secretariat in Lyon, France.INTERPOL’s Project SCALE will confront fisheries crime head on with the goals of:
- Raising awareness about fisheries crime and its consequences
- Establishing National Environmental Security Task Forces to ensure cooperation on fisheries crime within and across borders
- Assessing the needs of countries that are particularly vulnerable to illegal fishing
- Conducting operations to suppress criminal activity, disrupt trafficking routes and ensure that national laws and policies are enforced
- Increasing surveillance to better police fisheries crimes
- Gathering better data on fisheries crimes to help improve monitoring and enforcement.
Eyes on the Horizon has replied to the call for reporters to supply necessary surveillance information on the illegal activities seen along this coastline. Remember if you see something suspicious along the coast particularly large fishing vessels, photograph the registration numbers and the vessel itself and report to us.
© 2013 Eyes On The Horizon | Website by Kablooey Studios